The club was founded in 1895 on common land at nearby Rushmere Heath. It was not until 31 years later that legendary golf course architect James Braid designed the course at its present site at Purdis Heath.
The official opening of the course took place on Saturday, June 16, 1928 with an exhibition match between Braid himself, fellow founder member of the PGA J.H Taylor, Abe Mitchell and a talented young golfer by the name of Henry Cotton - who went on to win three Open Championships.
A large gallery of spectators gathered to watch the event, including a Daily Telegraph reporter who was struck by 'this beautiful heath and heathery course.'
The orginal site of Ipswich Golf Club remains and is now occupied by Rushmere Golf Club and the two remain friendly rivals, reflected in an annual contest for the Queensland Cup - affectionately dubbed The Friendship Cup.
The club was incorporated on 1st January 2017.